The Book Awards II Challenge, hosted by 3M at 1 More Chapter, began August 1, 2008 and will end June 1, 2009. This challenge was right up my street, since I've already undertaken several long-term projects to read Booker, Orange, and Pulitzer winners. The challenge consisted of reading 10 books representing 5 different awards.
Here's what I read for this challenge:
- The Old Man and the Sea, by Ernest Hemingway (Pulitzer Prize) - review
- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, by Michael Chabon (Pulitzer Prize) - review
- The Idea of Perfection, by Kate Grenville (Orange Prize) - review
- Kaddish for a Child not Born, by Imre Kertesz (Nobel Prize) (review
- The Conservationist, by Nadine Gordimer (Booker Prize, Nobel Prize) - review
- The Road Home, by Rose Tremain (Orange Prize) - review
- Property, by Valerie Martin (Orange Prize) - review
- A Fine Balance, by Rohinton Mistry (Giller Prize, Commonwealth Writers' Prize) - review
- Schindler's Ark, by Thomas Kenneally (Booker Prize) - review
- The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga (Booker Prize) - review
Favorite Book: The Idea of Perfection, which made my "Top 5 Reads of 2008"
Least Favorite Book: This is a tough one. All of these were rated 3 stars or higher, and 3 stars is still a good read. But on that basis, these would be my least favorite books: Kaddish for a Child Not Born, The Conservationist, Property, Schindler's Ark, The White Tiger.
I wonder if there will be a Book Awards III? Thanks 3M, for hosting this fun challenge!