Hello Sunday Salon readers!
I can't believe we are into the second half of 2008 already. I have been reflecting on my reading so far this year, and offer up the following assessment:
- 36 books read (11,664 pages). This puts me on pace to read 72 books this year, which is precisely the same as in 2007.
- Average rating: 3.5 stars. I've been reading some really good books this year. There were only three books that received less than 3 stars (The Piano Tuner, Ines of my Soul, and In a Free State). Oh yeah, and there were another two that I didn't finish (My Name is Red, and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao).
- Progress vs. 2008 Reading Goals:
- Booker Prize Winners: 6 out of 10
- Pulitzer Prize Winners: 3 out of 8
- Orange Prize Winners: 1 out of 4
- Nobel Prize Winners: 2 out of 7
- New countries "visited" (books by authors from outside the U.S.): 8 of 20
- My top 3 books for the second quarter:
- My top 5 books of the year: from the list above and my top 5 for the first quarter, I would say the best overall are:
I have a lot of really interesting books lined up for the rest of the year. I'm really looking forward to more global reading, and seeing whether any of my second half reads can knock one of my top 5 off the list.
Until next time ... happy reading!
Join The Sunday Salon here.