For this challenge, I took the theme of "cultural tensions / culture clashes," and read six books:
- Cry the Beloved Country, by Alan Paton (completed 1/13/2008 - review)
- The Space Between Us, by Thrity Umrigar (completed 2/28/2008 - review)
- House of Sand and Fog, by Andre Dubus, III (completed 3/24/2008 - review)
- The Piano Tuner, by Daniel Mason (completed 4/7/2008 - review)
- We wish to Inform you that Tomorrow we will be Killed with our Families, by Philip Gourevitch (completed 5/30/2008 - review)
- Ines of my Soul, by Isabel Allende (completed 6/15/2008 - review)
Favorite book of the challenge: Cry, the Beloved Country. This is in the running for one of my top reads of 2008.
Least favorite book: Ines of My Soul. I had high hopes for this novel with its strong female protagonist, but it failed to live up to Allende's other work.
Thanks to Wendy (Caribousmom) for hosting this fun challenge!