- The Yacoubian Building, by Alaa Al-Aswany (completed 9/19/2007 - review)
- Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader, by Ann Fadiman (completed 9/19/2007 - review)
- When the Emperor was Divine, by Julie Otsuka (completed 10/12/2007 - review)
- Wide Sargasso Sea, by Jean Rhys (completed 11/16/2007 - review)
- The Art of Mending, by Elizabeth Berg (completed 12/14/2007 - review)
- Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe (completed 1/17/2008 - review)
- The Secret River, by Kate Grenville (completed 2/3/2008 - review)
Favorite book: Oh, this is a close one. I loved Ex Libris, but as a collection of essays it's really quite different from my other selections. So I will cheat and choose The Secret River as another favorite.
Least favorite book: The Art of Mending. I found this book to be a bit trite and cliche.
What I learned: I read more "unread authors" than familiar ones. When I started the challenge, I thought I might list other new authors in my challenge post. However, it quickly became apparent that I'd be listing almost every book I read. While I do read multiple works by certain authors -- Jane Austen & John Steinbeck, for example -- I usually don't read series, and I don't tend to get on a "kick" reading a certain author's entire oevre.
This was a fun challenge that helped clear out my TBR stack a bit. Thanks Ariel!