Read six books by authors you have never read before. If you would like to read more in this time frame, go for it!
You are welcome to approach the Challenge in any of several different ways. You can choose one or two (or 3-5) unread authors and read several of their works, or you can choose six neglected (by you) writers and read a book apiece by them. Authors of fiction, non-fiction, genre fiction, graphic novels/comics, drama, and poetry are all welcome inclusions, although the individual works you choose should be book length. I will leave the definition of "book length" to your discretion, but in my mind a full length play or epic poem would certainly count, as would collections of shorter works.
I recently vowed not to sign up for another challenge unless it supported my efforts to work off my TBR pile. This one fits the bill, since I have several TBRs written by new-to-me authors. And, none of these books overlaps another challenge. Here's my list:
- The Yacoubian Building, by Alaa Al-Aswany (completed 9/19/2007 - review)
- Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader, by Ann Fadiman (completed 9/19/2007 - review)
- When the Emperor was Divine, by Julie Otsuka (completed 10/12/2007 - review)
- Wide Sargasso Sea, by Jean Rhys (completed 11/16/2007 - review)
- The Art of Mending, by Elizabeth Berg (completed 12/14/2007 - review)
- Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe (completed 1/17/2008 - review)
- The Secret River, by Kate Grenville (completed 2/3/2008 - review)